ოძელაშვილი - Odzelashvili


სოფელ მარაბდაში ამ მცირერიცხოვან კომლთა წევრებს ოძელაანთს ეძახიან. როგორც ჩანს, პირთა საკუთარ სახელად გამხდარა ტოპონიმი ოძისი, აქედან კი – ოძელა.

სოფელი ოძისია დუშეთისა და ხაშურის რაიონებში. ზემო და ქვემო ოძისი იყო გარისის (დღევანდელი თეთრი წყაროს) რაიონშიც.

ამ გვარში ყველაზე ცნობილი ოძელაშვილი არსენაა.

დაახლოებით, 1797-1842 წლებში, სოფელ მარაბდაში მებატონეები იყვნენ ორბელიანები. დიმიტრი ორბელიანის ვაჟიშვილის – თამაზის გლეხად მოიხსენიება თათია ოძელაშვილი;

ოძელაშვილები ცხოვრობდნენ სოფლებში: ბორბალო, მაწევანი, მარაბდა, ფარცხისი, ჩხიკვთა.

საქართველოში 448 ოძელაშვილი ცხოვრობს: თბილისში – 373, ბოლნისში – 25, რუსთავში – 17. არიან წყნეთშიც და კახეთშიც.


Tbilisi

Tbilisi

Archaeological material shows us that the first settlements on the city’s territory appeared in the eneolithic age, in the III–IV millennium. In the second half of the fifth century, by the order of the king of Kartli Vakhtang Gorgasali, the following construction of Tbilisi began with the purpose of making it the seat of the throne. The work commenced by Vakhtang Gorgasali was finished by his heir, Dachi. History has preserved for us an extraordinary story about the foundation of Tbilisi. Once upon a time Tbilisi and its surroundings were covered by forests, and Vakhtang Gorgasali was hunting there. The king and the members of his company made their pheasant fly, and the falcon chased the pheasant until soon both the birds disappeared from sight. After a long search the king and his company saw that both birds had fallen into a hot sulphur spring. There were many such medical springs in that territory. The king Vakhtang liked this area and decided to build a city in the area. He named it Tbilisi because of those hot springs.

Tbilisi entered 21st century with changes and with a new image, that is even nowadays being actively changed though at the same time it keeps the details characteristic for Tbilisi only. The past and present are closely linked with each other here. Lots of modern buildings are being constructed that make 1500 years old city more distinguished and interesting.
Tbilisi is a living city that is growing and developing and is becoming more and more beautiful. The oversea investments are frequenetly attracted and invested in the construction of hotels, shopping malls nad residential buildings and the whole city is going to be redeveloped very soon. Life is becoming more and more interesting and easy as many work places are being created by means of the investments invested by the oversea developers.


METEKHI (Tbilisi)

METEKHI (Tbilisi)


Metekhi, one of the Tbilisi`s old districts, is situated on the left bank of the Mtkvari, in the area commonly known as Avlabari. It comprised the Isani Fortress and its adjoining territory. The toponym “Metekhi” is first mentioned in the 12th century chronicles. St. Mary`s Church, one of the most important monuments if Georgian architecture, built in the 5th-6th centuries by King Vakhtang Georgasali stands in this district.

Queen Shushanik, the martyred wife of pitiakhsh Varsken, whose life and martyrdom are described in “The Martyrdom of St. shushanik” (5th cent.), the oldest work of Georgia literature, is believed to be buried in this Church. A royal palace and a court Church stood at this place in the 12th cent. They were burnt down by the Mongols in 1235. Between 1278 and 1289 the Church was restored by King Demetre the Self-Immolator.

The Church is a central-domed building. It`s plan (four free-standing pillars, three protruding apses) is unusual for the day. The Church evidently repeats the plan of an earlier building which had stood at this place. The facades are treated in a new decorative system: the walls are divided into horizontal belts (this system did not catch on) but at the same time an old system of a large cross with two square under the wind a well-known motif since the times of Samtavisi is repeated on the protuberant altar apse. The Church has had a lot of alterations, made throught the centuries. Only the eastern and the northern walls (up to the vault level), the bottom part of the western wall, and the eastern part of the southern wall survive from the 13th cent. building. In the 16th-17th cent, the four pillars, the western gallery (chair), the vaults, and the dome drum were restored in brick. The greater part of the northern wall was restored in the 18th cent. during the reing of King Erekle II. Some parts of the building were also restored in the 19th century.


Shardeni street (Tbilisi)

Shardeni street (Tbilisi)

Shardeni Street - a small pedestrian street,one of the single centers of the city’s cultural and social life. In the ancient times, there was intensive trading in that street. Once upon in time, the street was roofed,and called "Dark Street" (Russian: «Темний ряд»). After the reconstruction in XIXc. the street was named Shardeni ,in honor of the French traveler Jean Chardin.
Nowadays, there are located popular ,open-air cafes, bars, night clubs, galleries. Also there take splace exhibitions, concerts and different occasions and take placeorganizes exhibitions, holidays, concerts.


Museum Of Fine Arts (Tbilisi)

Museum Of Fine Arts (Tbilisi)

The museum was established in 1920 by the renowned Georgian artist Dimitri Shevardnadze. The museum preserves approximately 900 hundred thousand exhibits from the medieval period up to the XX c. and few materials of the pre-Christian period.The Museum is distinguished for its Georgian goldsmith pieces dated back to the VIII-XIX Centuries. The most significant exhibits are the icon of Zarzma Monastery, the Chalice of Bedia, Anchistkhati and Khakhuli Triptychs, Processional Liturgical Crosses etc.
The museum also houses the unique exhibits of cut-enamel, jewelry and art textiles, medieval architecture monuments, paintings, mosaics, statues etc.In 1990 the museum was named after Shalva Amiranashvili for his outstanding service to the Georgian art.
S. Amiranashvili Museum of Fine Arts exposes the works of famous Georgian painters Niko Pirosmanishvili, Lado Gudiashvili, Elene Akvlediani, David Kakabadze and others. The Museum also hosts collections of Russian, Western European and Oriental (mainly Persian) artworks.


The national picture gallery (Tbilisi)

The national picture gallery (Tbilisi)

The national picture gallery was constructed according to the project of the famous German architect Albert Zaltsman. At first it was envisaged for military-historical museum and was called the “Temple of Glory” that was promoting the Russian victories in Caucasus. In 1930 it was altered as a picture gallery.
Tbilisi national picture gallery is constructed according to the project of the Roman exhibition house. Its facade is richly decorated with the ornaments of Baroque style. Its entrance is of cubic style. The entrance with Corinthian columns and pilasters is covered with semicircle exedra and the sides of the buildings are divided by the similar columns.
Both of the halls of the glass covered gallery is richly lighted by sunshine. Very interesting exhibitions are often held in this gallery.


Simon Janashia Museum of Georgia

Simon Janashia Museum of Georgia

The origins of the Simon Janashia Museum of Georgia stem from the founding of the Museum of the Caucasian Department of the Russian Royal Geographic Society on May 10, 1852. In 1865 on the initiative of Gustav Rade the museum of Caucasus was established on the basis of the above mentioned department. The first exhibition was held in 1867.In 1881 the museum of Caucasus took an active part in the fifth international congress of archeologists, held in Tbilisi. In 1919 the museum of Caucasus was named the Georgian Museum.In February, 1921, the Georgian government made a decision about moving provisionally the state treasure from Georgian museums and churches out of Tbilisi due to the Soviet aggression towards Georgia.

The treasure was first moved to Kutaisi and then to Batumi, but soon, packed in 248 boxes it was carried to France. In spite of the great obstacles, the famous Georgian public figure, Ekvtime Takaishvili could preserve and bring back to Georgia all the state property.After the Soviet occupation a new stage of the museum development has started. In this period the scale of scientific research has noticeably increased and the unique expeditions have been held in frameworks of the museum.Since 1947 the museum’s been named after Simon Janashia. The museum had to operate in an extremely tense situation in the last decade of the XX century.

In 2004 the museum was incorporated into the Georgian National Museum. Nowadays, the great reformations have being carrying out in the museum aiming for setting the modern standards of reservation and exposition of the museum collections.One of the most amazing exhibits in the museum is the prehistoric human remains found in Dmanisi. These remains date back to 1.8 million years and are the oldest sign of human existence outside of Africa. One of the most important collections of the museum is the Gold treasure, which consists of the unique collection of the pre-Christian (III millennium BC-IV century AD) goldsmith pieces.The unique Zoological, botanical, geological and ethnographic collections, photo archive and the video fund are also preserved in the museum.


Narikala castle (Tbilisi)

Narikala castle (Tbilisi)

The ruins of an ancient fence of the mother –castle Narikala still stands On the western ridge of Sololaki. The name Narikala first appeared in the 18th century, until then it was called –Kala. In the 6th century the king Dachi strengthened and widened the old castle that was located o this very place , since then the Kala castle was the most important defensive castle and the royal residence in the newly founded Tbilisi. The citadel had several times been invaded by the foreign invaders and many times restored by the Georgians when still getting the castle back from the hands o\f the invaders.

In the 13th century the St. Nicolas church was constructed within the borders of the Kala castle. When Georgia was occupied by the Russian empire , the Russian garrison was deployed in the Kala castle. He liturgical ceremonies were terminated in the church and the gun powder ware house was arranged there instead, a little later the fire resulted in the gun powder explosion and this entailed the devastation of the church and the other building , according to one of the versions the fire was caused by the thunderbolt and it was perceived by the people as the mark sent from the most high.

On the place where the previous church was destroyed by the fire, the St. Nicolas church was constructed by the architect T. Kiparoidze in 1996- 1997, the new church exactly repeated the plan of the previous church.The church is of “prescribed cross” type, it has the doors from three sides, the dome is supported by the couple of round columns and by the protrudings of the conch. The conch is not protruded from the rectangular, the facades are faced with well hewed yellowish-sand colored squares , the composition of crosses are depicted under the pediment ,the window, under the couple of the rhombuses that are vertically arranged in the centre of the eastern facades.

The facades are simple, the windows are circled with simple frames , the flatness of the wall is whole , though the bunch of the slim columns “ cut in the middle” are leading up the lower part of the building creating a kind of unfinished expression. The fragment of the previous building are built in the western and northern parts of the church.The church is painted by Vl. Tevdoradze and D. Khidasheli.


The synagogue (Tbilisi)

The synagogue (Tbilisi)

The Hebrews have been living in Tbilisi since it was founded. According to the sources that have come up to day , their main dwelling area was lower Kala. At this very time the Hebrews had the synagogue in Kldisubani, though it did not survive the time.
The synagogue located on K. Leselidze street was constructed in 1910. The brick building is deeply protruded into the depth of the sidewalk. The wide stone stairs lead us to the street.
There is one more functioning synagogue in Tkavi blind alley in Tbilisi. But in the synagogue that was constructed at the teens of the 20th century on Anton Katholocos street , the historic- ethnographical museum of Hebrews ( founded in 1933) is disposed at present.
The museum was canceled in 1951 during the soviet regime, lots of important files that were kept in that building were distributed to the other museums. In 1992 the museum got back its funds and it started functioning again.
***
From Gorgasali square arises Samgebro street, where Armenian Fortress Church of Saint George Surb-Gevorg is located. It was erected from brick under the guidance of the prince Umek in 1251. Then it was rebuilt more than once. It is considered the most ancient of the present functioning Armenian churches in Tbilisi. An Armenian poet of the The synagogue was built at the end of the 19th century. The Georgian Synagogue is famous as Big Synagogue. It was established by the Jews from Akhaltsikhe, who settled in Tbilisi at the end of the 19th century, so its second name is "synagogue of Jews from Akhaltsikhe". The synagogue was made from bricks, in eclectic style, between 1895 and 1913 and then decorated with the cupola and lantern. According to Jewish tradition, the building is directed to Jerusalem (to the south) along its longitudinal axis (from the entrance, in direction to Aron Akosheda). The main gates of the synagogue are decorated with David's Star. century, a musician, ashug (bard), a master of love lyrics Saiat-Nova was buried under the northern wall of the church.


Catholic church (Tbilisi)

Catholic church (Tbilisi)

The church (Polish Roman-Catholic church) was built in the first half of the 19th century. When the architect Zaltsman in 1874 built another Polish Roman-Catholic church, the first one was called "old", and the street, where it stands, is called Old Catholic. At Soviet times it was named 1st May street, but at the beginning of the 90s it got the name of Alexandre Dumas street in honor of the remarkable French writer, who stayed in Tbilisi, liked it very much and left its picturesque description. At Soviet times it was rearranged as a storehouse and in the course of time the building was considerably dilapidated. Before Rome Pope's visit to Georgia in 1999, this Polish Roman-Catholic church was restored and now beside catholic messes one can listen to organ music there. The major part of its parish are Georgian Catholics and Poles.