Batumi

Batumi

Batumi is an administrative center of Adjara Autonomous Republic. It is situated by the Black Sea, on the lowland of Khakhaberi, 2-3 meters above the sea level and has a form of the half-moon. The territory of the city is 19 sq. km. The seaside part of Adjara is mainly a plain-lowland, characterized with mild subtropical climate. The average annual temperature is +14,5° C, ranging from +25° C in summer to + 6° C in winter. The average annual precipitation is 2 200mm, air humidity- 80%.
Batumi, with the population 124 000, is the land and marine gateway to Georgia with its largest sea port, railway chain and international airport.
Plynius, Xenofonte and Apoloniusof Rodes give us the first information about the city built on the site of Batumi. They claim this city to be well-known in the Antique world and one of the significant sea-port. The name is originated from Greek. In early times it was mentioned with its Greek name “Batius Liman” meaning “deep bay”. Scholars believe that it was here that two ancient cultures Antique and Colchic used to merge.
During the Ottoman yoke the geopolitical importance of Batumi was diminished. As a result, information about medieval Batumi preserved in historical sources is rather poor.
At the end of XIX c. Batumi became the regional center of Adjara and accordingly, it took the central place in economic, political and cultural life of adjara. In 1990-es it became a large center of oil export and industry as well as an important sea-port. The period, when the city was announced “Porto-Franco”, is of great importance too. The turnover of Batumi sea-port had largely increased by that time. Batumi port became the greatest transit point for transporting oil extracted in Baku.
During the Soviet period Batumi still functioned as an important industrial and tourist city.
Nowadays Batumi is one of the very important cities of Georgia. During last three years many things have been and are being done to make Batumi one of best the seaside cities.
In Batumi infrastructure is changing, borders of the city are widening, tourism is under development, number of population is increasing…It is supposed that number of inhabitants will grow from 124 000 to 180 000 in the nearest future. This is confirmed by the fast pace of constructing in our city.
In the nearest 5 – 10 years 120 new buildings will be built in Batumi. New hotels, resting houses, restaurants, bars are being built and new working places are being created. During the last three years several textile, citrus’and chemical pharmaceutical plants were opened.
In Batumi increasing of incomes, attracting investors and developing of tourism were encouraged by working out a new tax code that set profitable conditions for entrepreneurship.
All conditions are being created to make Batumi one of the best modern seaside resorts.
5400 campers visited Batumi in 2000. In the year 2006 this number grew to 10 000. Further growth is anticipated. Supposedly more than 1 000 000 tourists will visit Batumi by the year 2015. Consequently, adjacent fields of tourism industry will be developed: new buildings, roads, and communications in particular.
The sights of modern Batumi and its outskirts are the oldest historic-architectural monuments, parks and squares decorated with exotic plants, delphinium, aquarium, museums, art galleries, recreational, cultural and rest zones. The Orthodox, the Catholic and the Gregorian churches, a mosque and a synagogue stand side by side in Batumi. That is why yet at the beginning of XX century Batumi was considered as one of the most tolerant and multinational towns.


The Batumi Botanical Garden

The Batumi Botanical Garden

The Batumi Botanical Gardens, situated on the north of the city of Batumi, along the Black Sea, is unique among the gardens of the world. At present the Batumi Botanical Gardens occupies 114 ha of area, and is very important for the scientific research activities being carried out. The planting activities on the area began in 1889 after Adjara region had been joined to Russia.


The famous agronomist-decorator, Chief Gardener of Batumi since 1885, M. Dalfons
carried out a big planting activity; he was amused by the warm mild climate of the Batumi seaside and decided to create another ~Riviera~. For this purpose he imported the rare decorative plants from the South France.

Among the initiators of planting activities on the Black Sea coast are Professor Andria Krasnov and the well-known geographer and botanist P. Tatarinov.

A. Kranov had suggested the project of land utilization, according to which the botanical gardens was planted. He had contacts with the world-known scientist- agronomists abroad who provided Mr. Krasnov systematically with the scientific literature, seeds and grafts. After Krasnov’s death (1914) his friend and collaborator I. Gordesiani took his position. A. Krasnov was buried in the Batumi Botanical Gardens.

Under the supervision of Gordesiani the departments of Japanese, Chinese, Mexico, Australia, Chile, New Zealand, America and Europe were planted. Alongside the abovementioned departments there exist the departments of Asia, the countries of Furthest East, Himalaya and the Tropical mountains- at the present time in the garden.

The Garden attracts visitors during the whole year as it is green all the time. Since 1998 the Botanical Gardens of Batumi is the member of the World Council for protection of Botanical Gardens plants.


Batumi boulevard

Batumi boulevard

A favorite rest and entertainment place for Batumians and tourists is the famous Seaside Park (Boulevard). The place was covered with water at the end of the 19 th century. In 1881 the Sea backed about 100 meters and an idea of creating a seaside park on the free territory was fulfilled by the famous gardener A. Resler who had worked out a construction plan. After Resler’s death the work was curried out by M. Dalfons. Active part in these works took Georgian gardener-decorator, graduate from the Versal Agricultural Institute- Iason Gordeziani.

The length of Seaside Park was 1,9 km. till May 2004. At present it is stretched along the spacious beaches, occupying 5 km of area with its infrastructure. With various attractions, sports grounds, the tennis courts, the chess house and bungalows, the park provides the best conditions for the rest and entertainment. Seaside Park symbol - the Columns (Kolonada) was built in 1934. Rich in its exotic plants, the park attracts the visitors during the whole year.

Boulevard is subdivided in two parts: A shady alley with the oldest plants occupies its main area, where it is cool even in the hottest days of summer. Subtropical part with pyramidal cypress, Chinese roses and noble laurels, in the central alley, is stretched along the beach.

Improvement works on the Ardagani lake, which is the most important part of a”new” boulevard, are being done. Two artificial islands, amphitheatre and a fountain, a gift from the president of Georgia, decorate the lake. Also a modern standard swimming pool, solarium and sports grounds are being built.


Orthodoxy church

Orthodoxy church

Building the former Catholic, present Orthodoxy church, was financed by the Zubalashvili brothers, who were Catholics and had built the church in honor of their mother. The first divine service in the church was performed by the Catholic padre Anselmo Mgebrishvili. During the Soviet period, the Bolheviks had abolished the church and a laboratory of a high tension was located here. In 1989 the church was reestablished by the Orthodox parish. The Saint Barbare church is situated on the apposite of the tennis-courts. The Russian military hospital had been located at the place, after abolishing of which, the former church was restored.


The Jewish Synagogue

The Jewish Synagogue

The Jewish Synagogue was built by Semeon Vulkovich in 1904. Herein should be mentioned about the tradition of Georgian and Jewish peoples friendly relationship lasting for 26 century.


The Gregorian Church



The Gregorian Church

The Gregorian Church was built in 1885 by the project of the Austrian Architect- Morfeld, and the donation by the famous businessman- Mantashev. The church was closed down in 1937 and only in 1996 it became possible to make it function.


Gonio

Gonio

Gonio - the beauty of one of the most charming regions of Georgia unfolds along the coastline where the natural blending of sea and mountains creates unforgettable scenery.Gonio-Apsaros Fortress is situated 12 km north from Batumi, the capital of Adjara Autonomous Republic. The history of the monument is mentioned in the ancient Greek and Roman documents. The chronicles provide an argument for monument's close connection with Greek antique Myth of Argonauts. As the legend tells us, King Ayet's son, Medea's brother was buried here.Gonio Fortress is recognized to be an important strategic, political and economic centre belonging to the eastern part of the Roman Empire.Archeological excavations study the period of 18-17 centuries BC and constantly discover amazing details. Here the first evidence of the Bronze Period and the first data of ancient Georgian state formation were found. Gonio-Apsaros Fortress permanently hosts different scientific projects and nowadays has received the status of a Museum.



Svaneti

Svaneti - the exotic part of beauty, the most mountainous and highest part of Georgia.
Svaneti is the highest inhabited area in the Caucasus. Four of the 10 highest peaks of the Caucasus are located in the region. The highest mountain in Georgia, Mount Shkhara at 5,201 meters (17,059 feet), is located in the province. Other prominent peaks include Tetnuldi (4,974m./16,319ft.), Shota Rustaveli (4,960m./16,273ft.), Mt. Ushba (4,710m./15,453ft.), and Ailama (4,525m./14,842ft.).
It was the constituent part of the ancient Colchi kingdom, and in a later period one of the principalities of feudal Georgia.
The Svans, an ethnic subgroup of the Georgians, were distinguished for their hospitality since olden times. They could be enemies to enemies and friends to friends. Nothing was so highly appreciated in Svaneti as the reputation of a good man - “khocha mare”.
The Svanian villages make unforgettable impression on a visitor: deep and wide gorges, dense forests, snowy mountains like Ushba, Tetnuldi, Shkhara – shimmering above them…
There everything is grand, impressive, free and severe… And also proud , unshakable Svanian towers- watching the whole neighboring and every path…
The svans were distinguished for their hispotality since olden times. They could be enemies to enemies and friends to friends. Nothing was so highly appreciated as the reputation os a good man – ”Khorcha mare”.
Svaneti is known for their architectural treasures and picturesque landscapes. The Botany of Svanetia is legendary among travelers. The famous Svanetian towers erected mainly in the 9th-12th centuries, make the region’s villages more attractive. In the province are dozens of Georgian Orthodox churches and various fortified buildings. Architectural monuments of Upper Svanetia are included in a list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Svan culture survives most wonderfully in its songs and dances. Svaneti boasts the most complex form of Georgian polyphonic singing, traditional to Georgian vocal music.


Mestia - Svaneti

Mestia - Svaneti

Mestia – is the administrative and cultural-educaional centre of Svaneti. It is situated on the wide banks of the rivers Metsiachala and Mukhuri, at the altitude of 1500 meters from the sea level. There are the several architectural and ethnographic monuments in Mestia. The house- fortresses and medieval cult – buildings are well preserved. One must note the churches of the holy Virgin (“lamaria”) , of the St Archangels and Fust.

The Adishi Gospel - ,the oldest monuments of the Georgian language and literature, many significant monument of the Georgian chasing art, etc. among the rich materials preserved in the Mestia Historical-Ethnographical Museum.

Despite its small size, the townlet was an important centre of Georgian culture for centuries and contains a number of medieval monuments - churches and forts - included in a list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. In 1968, it was granted a status of a townlet (Georgian: daba).


Lentekhi - Svaneti

Lentekhi - Svaneti

Lentekhi – is situated on the bank of the river Tskhenistskali, on the southern slope of the Central Caucasus. The district is a site of alpinism Area.
Lentekhi ethnographically belongs to a historic Georgian province of Lower, or Kvemo Svaneti. Cultural heritage of the area includes several monuments, particularly St George’s Church of ipari (the 10th century), the Archangel Church of Thargizel (the 9-10th centuries), Tekal Church (the 10-11th centuries), the complex of the Dadianis’ castle and museum and the famous Svanetian towers in the village Leksuri.